not-systemd status in Bullseye?

Mark Hindley mark at hindley.org.uk
Mon Mar 16 09:44:21 GMT 2020

Matthew,

On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 08:52:33PM +0000, Matthew Vernon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for your pointers. I thought I'd see what apt wanted to ditch, and
> the answer is quite a lot. Particularly, I need a display manager (lightdm
> seems reasonably good on my older systems), and this is a portable, so I
> don't think I can manage without network-manager :(
>
> Is it going to be possible to keep these or equivalent somehow?

This is a transitional problem. lightdm, network-manager, in fac anything I have
tried which doesn't have an explicit systemd dependency works fine with elogind.

The reason apt wants to remove everything is because sysvinit-core conflicts
with systemd-sysv which is depended on by libpam-systemd.

You can either

 1) Go through with it and then reinstall all the desktop components after
 libpam-elogind is in place.

 2) Edit /var/lib/dpkg/status and remove systemd-sysv from the libpam-systemd
 dependencies. This nasty hack will mean that replacing systemd-sysv with
 sysvinit-core will no longer take much of your desktop with it.

 3) Reopen #935304 to try to get this problem reconsidered

Hope that helps.

Mark