not-systemd status in Bullseye?

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Mar 15 21:01:19 GMT 2020

Hi Matthew.

Matthew Vernon - 15.03.20, 21:52:33 CET:
> Thanks for your pointers. I thought I'd see what apt wanted to ditch,
> and the answer is quite a lot. Particularly, I need a display manager
> (lightdm seems reasonably good on my older systems), and this is a
> portable, so I don't think I can manage without network-manager :(
>
> Is it going to be possible to keep these or equivalent somehow?
>
> root at matkustaja:/tmp# apt-get --download-only install sysvinit-core
> elogind
[…]
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>    colord dbus-user-session gvfs gvfs-daemons libnss-systemd
> libpam-systemd libsystemd0 light-locker lightdm network-manager
> network-manager-gnome packagekit packagekit-tools plymouth
> plymouth-label policykit-1 policykit-1-gnome rtkit
>    synaptic systemd systemd-sysv task-xfce-desktop udisks2 xiccd
>    elogind initscripts insserv libelogind0 startpar sysv-rc
> sysvinit-core 0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 24 to remove and 0 not
> upgraded. Need to get 1,342 kB of archives.
> After this operation, 52.2 MB disk space will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n] n

Did you try the boot with "init=/bin/bash" thing?

It is definitely possible to switch to sysvinit and elogind and use that
with Network Manager. I use it like that here.

But you need do the switch with the "init=/bin/bash" step described in
this thread in between. And you may still need the compat package.

Switching to it can be tedious, but it definitely does work with current
Debian Sid and Plasma. And I believe it should even work with GNOME.

Best,
--
Martin