Removing legacy distro support?

Adam Borowski kilobyte at angband.pl
Tue Jul 2 20:43:53 BST 2019

On Tue, Jul 02, 2019 at 03:06:29PM -0300, Jesse Smith wrote:
> [...] there are several areas in which support for SUSE is explicitly included.
> Basically, there are a lot of lines which read "If we are doing this on
> SUSE do A, otherwise do B."  [...]

> These days openSUSE and SUSE Linux Enterprise use systemd and I'm fairly
> sure no one in the SUSE community runs sysvinit anymore. Which raises
> the question: do we still need special support for SUSE in the code, or
> can it be removed?

I don't know about these areas of SUSE, but in the other part of RPM land,
Fedora/Red Hat, support for init scripts is considered a bug, actively
removed, and not allowed in new packages.  Thus, any user wanting to avoid
deficiencies of systemd would be required to do a massive amount of
tinkering.

I don't know if SUSE actively removes init scripts, but even if it does
not, what is left is certainly severely bitrotten, likely to a point of
unusability.

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Packager's rule #1: upstream _always_ screws something up.  This