Authoritate source of sulogin(8)

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Fri Jan 11 19:51:07 GMT 2019

On 1/11/19 8:37 AM, Dmitry Bogatov wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I just noticed, that we do not install sulogin, which source is present
> at `src/sulogin.c'. /sbin/sulogin is provided by bin:util-linux.
>
> According to sulogin(8) from util-linux,
>
> 	sulogin was written by Miquel van Smoorenburg for  sysvinit and
> 	later ported to util-linux by Dave Reisner and Karel Zak.
>
> Difference is quite significant, but I would not call it bloat:
>
>  sulogin.c |  995 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++-----------------------------
>  1 file changed, 532 insertions(+), 463 deletions(-)
>
> Jesse, what is your position on this matter? Should versions, bundled
> with util-linux and sysvinit be considered forks, or maybe version in
> sysvinit could be dropped?
>
> I find current situation quite confusing. Unlike situation with busybox
> and coreutils, I do not see ideological reasons to not perform some kind
> of unification.

I looked into this further and the util-linux fork of sulogin.c drags in
a bunch of dependencies from their source tree, somewhat tying their
version to their tree. It would be more effort that it's worth to
untangle in order to re-merge their changes back.

I'm just going to keep sulogin.c in the sysvinit tree for distros that
want it. Debian can ignore/patch it out to avoid duplication as need be.