Resurrecting file-rc

Jesse Smith jessefrgsmith at yahoo.ca
Tue Feb 12 20:04:22 GMT 2019

> Jesse Smith wrote:
>> I'd be willing to look at taking over maintenance of file-rc.

> Thanks. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

>> Perhaps it would make sense to make this an optional part of the SysV
>> package?

> Do you mean having the sysvinit source package generate the file-rc
> binary package, or making this style of boot configurable on all SysV
> systems by some configuration option instead of by installing a package?

My thought was to have the source code and manual pages in the SysV
upstream repository and tarballs. Then Debian (or any other distro)
could optionally install file-rc so it's available. Enabling it would
probably still be up to the user.

Though I haven't looked closely at it, I don't think there is much to
maintain or build in the file-rc package. It looks like it's mostly
documentation and shell scripts.

- Jesse