Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Fri Nov 16 16:50:10 GMT 2018

Mark Hindley writes ("Re: Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source"):
> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 04:31:38PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Mark Hindley writes ("Re: Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source"):
> > >  - elogind 139.1+20181115-1
> > >  - policykit-1/experimental recompiled against elogind
> >
> > What exactly do you mean by `recompiled against elogind' ?  Do you
> > mean `with libelogind-dev installed alongside libsystemd-dev' ?
>
> Yes, for the build and then producing separate packages targeting elogind and
> systemd.

I am confused.  If it produced separate packages, you must have made
some change to the source as well.

Is that this:

> I have done some work on producing both libsystemd *and* libelogind compatible
> policykit-1 packages from the Debian/experimental source. It works, but needs
> some refinement. With thanks and credit to the folks from Devuan who have
> already made this work.
>
>  https://github.com/markhindley/polkit/tree/build_elogind_and_systemd
>
> But the basic build works. I hope it will be helpful to Debian's policykit
> maintainers when we bug them to include elogind packages.

?

Is it not possible to do this without generating multiple alternative
policykit packages ?

I looked at this commit in that tree:
   https://github.com/markhindley/polkit/commit/bc36c6a3a3514fd4215fb7d2ccb8a633a01e4149
and I worry that the Debian policykit maintainers won't like it very
much.

Sorry if I am being dense.

Regards,
Ian.