Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source [and 1 more messages]

Ian Jackson ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Nov 13 16:59:16 GMT 2018

Adam Borowski writes ("Re: Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source"):
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2018 at 04:37:41PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Probably not, but if what is going on is that some libsystemd stuff
> > in polkit is going wrong, hopefully it is separated out enough that we
> > could have the one polkit source package build against both.
>
> Wouldn't it be better to have one polkit _binary_ that can talk to either?

Yes, certainly.  Sorry, that's what I meant.

Svante Signell writes ("Re: Elogind v239.1 Devuan/Debian combined source"):
> On Tue, 2018-11-13 at 16:37 +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> > Probably not, but if what is going on is that some libsystemd stuff
> > in polkit is going wrong, hopefully it is separated out enough that we
> > could have the one polkit source package build against both.
>
> That's what we did in Devuan with 0.105-18. Are you expecting a
> problem with a newer version of polkit (0.115) ?

I have no idea I'm afraid.  I haven't looked at anyone's polkit source
code.  I was just answering Mark's question about having two polkits.

So the proposal would be some (small) patches to Debian's polkit to
make it b-d on libelogind-dev ?  And it would end up linked at runtime
against both then ?

If the patches are in upstream polkit then great.  If not then before
submitting such patches to Debian we should do a code review so we can
confidently say they won't break anything.

Does that make sense ?

Ian.

--
Ian Jackson <ijackson at chiark.greenend.org.uk>   These opinions are my own.