elogind plan

Peter Maydell pmaydell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Mon Dec 3 10:07:57 GMT 2018

In article <20181203091130.GM17160 at hindley.org.uk> you write:
>On Sun, Dec 02, 2018 at 11:42:26PM +0100, Adam Borowski wrote:
>> There's also the matter of upgrades: there's a need to be able to switch
>> from systemd to sysvinit+elogind, which you can't currently do (systemd's
>> prerm refuses to remove while it's pid 1).
>
>The impression I had received was that it might be difficult to persuade
>systemd's maintainers to remove that restriction. Do you know if anyone has
>actually tried asking them?

Do our dependencies now prevent having both systemd and sysvinit-core
installed at once? When I was doing testing with early versions
of our elogind packaging I started with a systemd setup and
switched it over with:
  apt install sysvinit-core
  reboot (which will bring the system back with sysvinit as pid 1)
  apt remove systemd
  (then install elogind)

thanks
-- PMM