Posted on in recipes.
You will need:
- 4 sausages
- 1 onion
- (optional) 4 shallots
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- ½ pint chicken stock
- 1 sprig chopped rosemary
- 1 pepper, sliced
- 200g tin chopped tomatoes
- (optional) 200g tinned/pre-soaked lentils
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 180C (gas 4)
- Melt a little butter in a saucepan. Pierce and brown the sausages, then set them aside.
- Add onions and garlic, cook slowly for 5 mins until tender.
- Add potato, fry for 5 mins. Take care not to burn the onion/garlic.
- Gradually add stock, stir well and return the sausages.
- Slowly add half the rosemary, tomatoes, pepper, lentils, vinegar and sugar. Ensure the liquid covers the sausages; it will reduce later.
- Cook on the stove for a few more minutes. Slowly increase the heat until it simmers - taste, add a little more sugar if needed.
- Transfer to casserole dish. Cook uncovered for about an hour.
- Garnish with rosemary. Serve with beans, rice, polenta or cous cous.