IPA s.56 (Exclusion of matters from legal proceedings etc.

Mark Lomas ukcrypto at absent-minded.com
Thu Dec 8 10:48:31 GMT 2016

I agree with Roland's interpretation. Section 56(1)(a) requires that you
should not disclose content or secondary data unless it is available from
another source. It does not permit you to lie about that source.

However, it would also appear to preclude a defendant from suggesting that
intercept evidence contradicts the evidence disclosed by the prosecution.

Usually the prosecution is obliged to disclose all available evidence to
the defence, which provides a safeguard against bias in selection or
presentation. Intercept evidence is exempted from that rule. Rather than
ask about lies - deliberate dishonesty - it might be better to ask what
safeguards are (or should be) in place to recognise when intercept evidence
might support a defendant's case.

Mark