Draft Investigatory Powers Bill

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Thu Nov 5 14:01:42 GMT 2015

On 05/11/15 12:51, Roland Perry wrote:
> In article <563A6CC0.2070904 at zen.co.uk>, Peter Fairbrother
> <zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk> writes

You missed out a relevant part of the thread

Otherwise it seems largely to repeat the (already-found illegal)
status quo of DRIPA, RIPA 2000, Police Act, ACTSA 2001, JSA 2013,
Intelligence Services Act 1994 etc

>>> JOOI, what has been already-found illegal about RIPAs rules for
>>> disclosure of comms data?
>>
>> I was referring to the EU (digital rights ireland) and UK ([2015] EWHC
>> 2092) supreme courts decisions that the then/present comms data
>> _retention_ regime was/is/are illegal.
>
> Ah-ha! There's nothing about that sort of data retention in RIPA.
>
> If commentators can't distinguish between data retention and data
> disclosure, then the debate is never going to get usefully off the
> first base.

Seems to me you were the commentator who had a problem here. I mentioned
"status quo", you turned that into  "rules for disclosure of comms data".

-- Peter Fairbrother