ICR "Unique Identifiers"

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Thu Nov 5 01:54:38 GMT 2015

On 04/11/15 16:55, Marcus Williamson wrote:

> This statement in the document is false, as far as I can see from a technical
> perspective:
>
> "ICRs therefore provide the unique identifier to distinguish between different
> users of a shared IP address"

I think it's got to be true, because they probably define an ICR as
something which does that  :(

What it technically consists of, or whether it is technically reasonable
or even possible, I don't think they are actually bovvered at all about.
It's SEP (the ISPs').

Afaict these statements are not true:

"The draft Bill will require that ICRs are retained by communications
service providers"

The Draft Bill does nothing of the kind - though it does grant the SoS
pretty well unlimited powers to require comms data retention, it does
not in itself actually require any data retention, nor does it mention
ICRs anywhere.

BTW, these are direct powers; requirements for comms data retention do
not have to be formulated as regulations, the SoS just orders them.

Nor do they require judicial authorisation - the SoS just orders them
and voila, there they are.

Parliament has no say in what data is to be retained.

"It could never contain a full web address as under
the law these would be defined as content."

nitpicking, www.google.com/ _is_ a full web address.

Nor would a full web address like www.google.com/gay+porn be defined as
content  - 193(6)(a) "anything in the context of web browsing which
identifies the telecommunications service concerned is not content,".

A full web address does that.

-- Peter Fairbrother