Draft Investigatory Powers Bill

Paul Barnfather lists at barnfather.net
Wed Nov 4 17:55:28 GMT 2015

> On 4 Nov 2015, at 17:38, Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk> wrote:
>
> https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/473770/Draft_Investigatory_Powers_Bill.pdf
>
> I have had a quick look, nothing direct about banning encryption.

<snip>

Is (end-to-end) encryption nevertheless banned implicitly by this Bill, via the requirement for the "relevant operator” to provide the required “technical capability”?

Presumably Skype/Apple/Facebook/etc will need to add this logging and storage capability if they wish to provide services to the UK. If that is technically impossible (e.g. for true P2P communications or end-to-end encryption with no middleman), then doesn’t the service effectively become illegal?

The various commentators are talking about “Internet service providers”, but it seems they are not just talking about ISPs like Talk Talk and BT. As far as I can tell, they mean “anyone that provides a communications service on the Internet”. So, presumably my bank’s secure messaging service is covered by this Bill as well?

I’m really struggling to understand the implications of this, so please correct me if I’m wrong...