BBCR4 on Crypto-wars today at 13:30

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Tue Mar 18 10:32:24 GMT 2014

Ian Batten said:
> I suspect it doesn't matter, because there are no (for practical purposes) safes which cannot be opened given large, but achievable, resources if you have physical access to the safe.   Very secure storage facilities (the safe in Area 51 where they keep the alien autopsy report) don't rely on super-sekrit safes that governments can't break into, they rely on defence in depth with fences, dogs, laws, CCTV and men with guns.   The problem safe-crackers have is not in opening the safe, but in opening the safe without being detected before they finish the job.

Which is why, apparently, safes are rated for value versus time - how much
resources are required to open the safe within that time. So if a safe is
rated for £200,000 for one hour, £50,000 for 3 hours, or £10,000
for 2 days, the owner knows whether to have a guard or patrol and how often
to make checks.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.