Off topic: DPA question

Derek Fawcus dfawcus+lists-ukcrypto at employees.org
Mon Jun 16 14:59:58 BST 2014

On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 07:53:04am +0000, Andrew Cormack wrote:
> But the question was also about e-mails and there the PECR has a separate distinction between
> the addresses of "individual subscribers" and "others". The PECR, still transposing the original,
> unamended, Directive, only restricts sending of unsolicited advertising e-mail to individual subscribers.
> If you aren't an IS - for example because your company pays the bill (or, as far as I can see,
> your parent or significant other does) then PECR doesn't protect you from spamming, only DPA does :(

You might wish to read about Adrian Kennard's battle on the 'individual subscriber' front,
he seems to have taken the position that unless the sender knows the addresss is _not_
an individual subscriber,  they must not send such;  and that usually the sender can not
know that.

   http://revk.www.me.uk/search/label/SPAM
(some of the above are telephone,  some email)

.pdf