Data retention question

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Thu Jul 31 12:07:22 BST 2014

A concrete, and not unusually complex, example from a few years ago.

A death threat was sent from a commercial webmail account, so to trace that we would have needed the webmail provider to have details of who their subscriber was (assuming the details provided on registration were accurate, of course). In fact it turned out that we could skip that step because the webmail included the originating IP address in a mail header. That IP address turned out to belong to one of the national Janet web caches (hence my then team's involvement), so we needed to look in those logs to identify the actual IP address from which the message had been posted. That address (belonging to a commercial ISP) was passed to the police who I believe then got in touch with the ISP.

IIRC Richard Clayton's PhD thesis has a lot more examples of how complex it can get, and which sources of tracing information are actually reliable.

Andrew