Data retention question

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Jul 17 16:50:29 BST 2014

In article <E5B7107D-0ACD-4411-9E82-D6679888952E at batten.eu.org>, Ian
Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes

>>my approach to that is to actually contribute (educate, inform etc) at
>>first hand regarding technology issues when I think it'll help. How
>>many others here were available on-site on Tuesday
>
>I don't think it's as simple as checking yourself into Portcullis house and sitting in the atrium
>with a sign saying "Crypto how?  Ask me now!"  Perhaps we could all cluster on the wall outside with
>signs saying "Will do policy analysis for food".

Almost all the time what you suggest is months too late.

>I'd be very happy to do educational work with MPs on crypto/intercept policy, and (in broad terms) I'd do it
>for free too.  I don't get the slightest sense that they're interested.

Only because you apparently aren't aware of the channels through which
such advice might be offered.

>I was at an event with Julian Huppert a few weeks ago which Caspar was
>at as well.  But he was there as a speaker, and a very good one at
>that, and I'm not sure that he learned much that he didn't already know.

Julian has his agenda, and quite well informed. He's not the audience
for the sort of advice I'm talking about.

>There doesn't seem to be a venue for subject matter experts to offer
>their knowledge to MPs in the large.

Try going to some of the All-Party groups. Although I'm not saying you
have to educate "in the large", about 1% is enough to make a difference.

>You can correspond with your own MP, but if it's not something on their
>radar then it's not clear how you make input to other MPs.

Not that trite route, certainly.