Turn off the mobile

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jul 16 16:04:56 BST 2014

In article <FF16B92B-BE54-449F-8ACA-CC88CA6C0863 at gmail.com>, Fearghas
McKay <fearghas at gmail.com> writes
>> Good point, well made. If you need to reach people, turn on the phone. If people need to reach you, they can phone your pager. The pager
>>signal will reach you in places (in the UK) a mobile phone signal will never reach you.
>
>Has anyone tried getting a new pager recently ?I am not convinced it is a deployable strategy :-(

The last pager network I had anything to do with withdrew its service
almost fifteen years ago and gave all the remaining a subscribers a free
orange PAYG phone. I was reminded of this when said phone turned up in a
pile of old-tech stuff I reluctantly sent off to the tip a fortnight
ago.

Getting back on topic, one of the major "issues" when RIPA was
originally being discussed is whether the police could easily get to see
"old[1] pager messages" using things like search warrants, because they
arguably weren't communications any more, protected by interception law,
but just data sat on a computer somewhere. Enquiring minds might want to
think about "old SMS messages".

[1] ie delivered already.