UK Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Fri Jul 11 08:56:48 BST 2014

And, as far as I can see, under the old regs, if the comms data wasn't related to the service you supplied then you couldn't be forced to collect/retain it. For example, an ISP that simply moved packets couldn't be required to 'retain' the comms data that happened to be contained in those of the packets that related to someone else's VoIP service:

Reg.3 These Regulations apply to communications data if, or to the extent that, the data are generated or processed in the United Kingdom by public communications providers in the process of supplying the communications services
concerned.
[http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2009/859/regulation/3/made]

I can't see anything in DRIP that continues that limitation. Can anyone else?

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet