UK Data Retention and Investigatory Powers Bill

Tony Naggs tony.naggs at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 10 14:32:28 BST 2014

The government is pushing through this newly announced 'emergency' bill in
the last week & a half or parliament before their summer break.

I appreciate police & intelligence services want to be able to request
metadata from communications providers, but I'm not really clear why a law
change is required for communications data to be held for 12 months.
Probably most businesses will want to hold this data for a year in order to
address billing disputes & such.

Draft bill is here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/the-data-retention-and-investigatory-powers-bill

There's some news coverage here:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/10/surveillance-legislation-commons-support-critics-stitch-up
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/10958366/Emergency-laws-to-monitor-phone-and-internet-records-to-stop-terrorists.html

And BBC Radio 4's World At One covered this:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b048nlfn
Including David Davis MP (C, for Haltemprice & Howden) critiquing the
proposal & calling for a warrant based process:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p022kbnx