Health Service Record Confidentiality

Roger Hayter roger at hayter.org
Sun Feb 9 00:09:24 GMT 2014

I am sorry to say that your document is apparently misleading!  Opting out does not apparently prevent your data from being "uploaded" to the care.data database, only restricts its non-anonymised use to when the government thinks it appropriate.  Unless the health minister Dan Poulter is incompetent, which is certainly arguable on other grounds.   See his answer to a written parliamentary question from David Davies,

HC Deb, 4 February 2014, c158W

He does not answer the question asked in so many words,  but they could hardly reveal it if they didn't have it!  However, this is described as a "holding answer" so we may yet hear differently.  It is interesting to speculate whether all GP data is already copied to central databases from local NHS computer systems, e.g. for backup purposes.  And whether, despite this, it can be 'spun' as not in the care.data database.

Davies Question
"To ask the Secretary of State for Health whether any medical data will be extracted by care.data from GP-held records of patients who have objected to the use of their confidential information by others than those providing them with care."

Poulter answer
"In terms of information which identifies a patient, NHS England’s “Better information means better care” leaflet sets out how people can ask their GP practice to note their objections, which will prevent confidential, identifiable data about them being used by the care.data programme, other than in a very limited number of exceptional circumstances.

As examples, existing public health legislation may require data to control the spread of specific infectious diseases or the police may require information about an individual patient when investigating serious crime. Decisions are made on a case-by-case basis and must balance legal requirements, the duty of confidentiality owed to the patient and the accepted public interest in a confidential health service, all against any benefits that may arise from the disclosure.

It is important to note that provisions in the Health and Social Care Act 2012 are designed to strengthen and clarify the role of the Health and Social Care Information Centre so that information can be collected, held securely and made readily available to those who need it in safe, de-identified formats, with crucial safeguards in place to protect the confidential data it holds.

The Health and Social Care Act 2012 is clear that

“information which identifies or enables identification of a person must not be published” "

--

Roger Hayter  (Retd. NHS 31/3/2013 for a number of reasons)

--

Roger Hayter