Data held by ISPs

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Dec 23 08:20:51 GMT 2014

In article
<CAJ-LMZVwnWHR8oR=kHqQf1hcrdVNzB-V=1wWrUu4sd65rKU9Fw at mail.gmail.com>,
Mark Harrison <mark at dizzymoth.co.uk> writes
></snip>
>IP addresses (of the subscriber) are personal data.
>
>Although it's taken a long time for this to be nailed into law (rather
>than denied by the MRD brigade).
></snip>
>
>I'm surprised. IP addresses from ISP's are shared. They are rarely
>given to end devices but rather routers that are also shared. How could
>they be classed as identifiable? To whom under the law?

Some routers are shared, others aren't[1]. But what you've asked neatly
summarises the conceptual wrangle that's being going on. One camp says
that because some IP addresses are shared, then none of them ought to
qualify as Personal Data; the other camp says that if some of them
aren't shared, then all of them ought to be given the respect accorded
to Personal Data - especially when it's hard to tell which are which.

[1] Single-person households, for example; or websites with a very
distinct content administrator.