Electronic money

Nicholas Bohm nbohm at ernest.net
Mon Dec 8 11:14:47 GMT 2014

On 07/12/2014 11:30, Roland Perry wrote:
> In article <54808490.2010600 at ernest.net>, Nicholas Bohm
> <nbohm at ernest.net> writes
>> And if the banks really succeed in phasing out cheques, will
>> they start demanding credit cards?
>
> They can't phase out cheques without introducing something to replace
> them, and iirc that's why the process is delayed. What form it will
> take is I expect undecided, but t could be a sort of cross between a
> cashier's cheque, a Postal Order, a book token and pre-paid gift card
> (often retailer-branded but there's at least one with wide acceptance
> in the High Street).
[ ... ]

Jack Lang and I wrote an article
<http://www.ernest.net/writing/Abolition%20of%20cheques%20article.pdf>
suggesting one way to do it, using digitally-signed instruments.  I
doubt if the banks will take it up - I'm sure they'll prefer to invent
it themselves.

Nick
--
Contact and PGP key here <http://www.ernest.net/contact/index.htm>