Electronic money

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Dec 7 11:30:58 GMT 2014

In article <54808490.2010600 at ernest.net>, Nicholas Bohm
<nbohm at ernest.net> writes
>And if the banks really succeed in phasing out cheques, will
>they start demanding credit cards?

They can't phase out cheques without introducing something to replace
them, and iirc that's why the process is delayed. What form it will take
is I expect undecided, but t could be a sort of cross between a
cashier's cheque, a Postal Order, a book token and pre-paid gift card
(often retailer-branded but there's at least one with wide acceptance in
the High Street).

Some loyalty/ rewards schemes already use M&S £10 vouchers as a form of
pseudo-cash, for example.

I've just spent a couple of days away at in effect a B&B, and they only
accept cheques - presumably for auditing reasons not accepting cash, and
the volume of turnover not warranting something based on credit cards or
electronic transfers.

I also note there are a number of official payments which can still only
be made by cheque, such as cherished numberplate transactions with DVLA.