Electronic money

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Dec 2 20:31:44 GMT 2014

In article
<CAEWR3ktn-naxBKEU_g+d67cE8t1-AhQikNWZJa8qpD-=u3xyOQ at mail.gmail.com>,
Francis Davey <fjmd1a at gmail.com> writes
>Specifically I am interested in knowing if there are any systems of
>open circulation "electronic money" that don't involve smart cards or
>similar physical tokens.

PayPal balances seem to be the closest I'm aware of, although they may
not be guaranteed by any useful state regulation/intervention.

A recent-ish innovation is that they have issued PayPal plastic which
allows you to withdraw balances (within quite strict limits) from an
ATM. As far as I can determine the best analogy is that it's a pre-pay
Mastercard whose balance is topped up 'just enough' in real time while
you are making a withdrawal.