Data retention directive "invalid"

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Sat Apr 12 14:46:26 BST 2014

Some of the purposes ISPs can use traffic data for are listed in Regulation 8 of the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regs (there are others scattered through the Regs):

(a)the management of billing or traffic;
(b)customer enquiries;
(c)the prevention or detection of fraud;
(d)the marketing of electronic communications services [with consent, according to Reg 7]; or
(e)the provision of a value added service [with consent, according to Reg 7].

ISPs that don't keep enough information to deal with complaints of breaches of their own AUPs, e.g. which IP address was allocated to which user, tend to be regarded unfavourably and may ultimately find their (customers') ability to send e-mail etc. to other networks being reduced. LINX produced a Good Practice Guide on Traceability many years ago, which was approved by the then Data Protection Commissioner (yes, *that* many years ago).

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet