BBC News - 'Fresh proposals' planned over cyber-monitoring

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Tue May 28 14:42:43 BST 2013

2013/5/28 Roland Perry <lists at internetpolicyagency.com>

> How does that work when the victim is your child that you haven't told you
> wish to kill (the only person who knows being the estranged wife).

Section 16 is *three* lines long and I linked to it. Why is it so hard for
people just to read the statutory material?

"*Threats to kill.*

A person who without lawful excuse makes to another a threat, intending
that that other would fear it would be carried out, to kill that other or a
third person shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction on
indictment to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years"

The "victim" is the person to whom you make the threat. The threat is that
you will kill someone (either the victim or someone else). So if X says to
Y "I am going to kill Z" intending that Y will fear that X will indeed kill
Z then the offence is made out.

--
Francis Davey