BBC News - 'Fresh proposals' planned over cyber-monitoring

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Mon May 13 10:09:51 BST 2013

If I remember correctly (and it was a *very* long time ago) one of the aims of v6 was to reduce the size of routing tables by bringing a bit of structure to address allocations. Doesn't mapping v4 addresses into part of the v6 space mean that the v6 table has to be at least as big as the v4 one from day one?

That may be less of an issue nowadays (the v6 designers presumably had in mind the memory limits/costs of routers twenty years ago) but it may be one reason why they chose a clean break.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet