security policy question

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Tue Mar 5 10:09:14 GMT 2013

On Mon, 4 Mar 2013 23:30:52 +0001 (GMT)
Root wrote:

> I have no confidence that it wouldn't be trivial for someone to get
> hold of my user-name and password by methods which don't involve me
> being irresponsible.
>
> Any advice would be very helpful before i make a nuisance of myself.

Do you have some sort of access token, such as a smartcard or similar?

I have noticed that our local health centre people all have to insert
their cards into a card reader slot on their keyboards, if this token
must be present to process any transactions then it makes the task of
keeping it out of other people's hands a little easier in that there is
a physical device to protect rather than virtual authentication tokens
(which will be just your password unless your user name is not related
to your real life identity).

Do you know what else is done to protect your login details? I would
ask about this as without knowing this information it is effectively
impossible for you to be responsible for access to systems you don't
know about and don't control.

--

Brian Morrison