Doormat argument about Voicemail dismissed by Court of Appeal

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Mon Jul 1 18:49:06 BST 2013

On 01/07/13 15:20, Ian Batten wrote:

> On 1 Jul 2013, at 14:13, Roland Perry<lists at internetpolicyagency.com>  wrote:
>
>> In article<1276F98B-AE2D-4B2A-8040-0F5470BA18A5 at batten.eu.org>, Ian Batten<igb at batten.eu.org>  writes
>>> What proportion of email users are still using POP3 and downloading a local copy?  Single figure percent, I would suspect, compared to the vast
>>> majority who are using webmail of some sort, and the geekerati who might be using IMAP4.  It implies a model of usage --- a single device with
>>> substantial local storage, talking to a remote server with limited storage --- which simply doesn't apply today.
>>
>> Isn't also more to do with "always on" connectivity. Using webmail without it, is frankly useless. And if travelling overseas, not only is bandwith harder to find, it's often very expensive.
>
> Would it be risking offence to suggest that you (and, indeed, I) may not be the most typical of users?
>
> Being able to read previously-read email whilst disconnected may be something that people don't think about, rather than don't need, but I gather that gmail has quite a few users these days.

You can use POP3 with gmail if you want, though it isn't default. People
frequently do.

You can also use IMAP if you want to sync a complete (ie including sent
items, drafts etc) local copy of your email database with the server
copy. Again people frequently do. I believe it just involves flicking a
tab on the gmail page, and entering details in an email client.

-- Peter Fairbrother