Chip and Pin compromised at B&N US

Tony Naggs tony.naggs at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 19 19:53:57 GMT 2013

Hi

On 19 January 2013 11:54, Martin Hepworth <maxsec at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting story here..
>

> http://blog.elementps.com/element_payment_solutions/2013/01/data-breach-hits-barnes-noble.html
>
> Anyone any knowledge of the C&P terminals used etc as I'm not aware of C&P
> being 'popular' in the USA (well it's been a couple years since I was last
> there and things change rapidly, so could have gained alot of traction by
> now).

This seems to be a retelling of the news story from late October last year, eg
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/24/barnes-noble-credit-card-hacked-_n_2007585.html

Details include:
    Barnes & Noble said it disconnected all of the devices, which
allow customers to swipe
    their debit and credit cards at checkout counters, on Sept. 14 and
notified the FBI and
    the U.S. attorney's office in the Southern District of New York.

Public disclosure apparently having been delayed at the request of the
investigating law
enforcement agencies.
Regards,
Tony