3D Secure / Verified By Visa

Ben Liddicott ben at liddicott.com
Wed Apr 17 21:38:23 BST 2013

After reaching the point where I had four VBV logins, and noting that
the only thing I had to do to create a new one, and for the transaction
to succeed, was give my DOB, I decided it was a complete waste of time.
I phoned my bank and told them that I didn't want to use it any more, as
I considered it worthless from a security point of view and if anything
an increased risk, and if they made me use it I would change banks. They
said it was not possible to opt me out.

However immediately afterwards I found that I was no longer required to
use it - I just got the VBV screen which immediately approved, as you
describe.

That doesn't mean I don't deal with 3d secure though. It means that I
keep getting "fraud calls" from them whenever I make a purchase from
Amazon, and every Christmas. I have explained that:

* Amazon put purchases of multiple items through as multiple small
purchases - surely you know that!!! (this issue seems to have gone away
now, about a year ago).
* People make otherwise unusual purchases at Christmas - yes, and to
unusual delivery addresses.
* I have no idea who that merchant account with the generic name in
Canada is but that doesn't mean I didn't make the purchase! What was the
trading name? What did I buy? How do you expect me to connect Secure
Trading And Whutevar Ltd (a payment processor) with my actual purchase?

Just my tuppence.

Cheers, Ben