help

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 08:45:23 BST 2012

2012/3/30 Peter Tomlinson <pwt at iosis.co.uk>:
> From Out-Law this morning an article about the flaws in using IP addresses
> to identify miscreants, in the legal cae reported it was about copyright
> infringers.
>
> http://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2012/march/o2-disclosure-ruling-could-impact-on-workings-of-imminent-new-anti-piracy-code-campaigners-say/
>
> "A High Court judge has laid out flaws in using internet protocol (IP)
> addresses to identify alleged copyright infringers which should have
> "ramifications" for how imminent new anti-piracy rules operate, a campaign
> group has said."

Well, it was Richard Clayton who laid out the flaws :-).

Does anyone know if Xtrack (the software there used) attempts to
download from the IP addresses it picks up? In Media CAT v Adams and
Golden Eye v Maricar, the evidence looked to me like they just took a
list of peer IP addresses, so there was a possibility that no file was
actually being made available at that address.

Golden Eye seems not to have been interested in actually pursuing its
claim in the Maricar case, very much like Media CAT (in both cases, as
soon as the claimants were aware there were lawyers on the other side,
they began to back away). I am of course sceptical that this will be
at all different, for all their protestations.

I'm just itching to get to challenge all this evidence in a proper trial.

--
Francis Davey