Interesting article about NSA facility and capabilities

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Mar 27 14:04:08 BST 2012

In article
<CAOOZfCXOP87FQ0=LQQUyXnZe-96HWs8_3J6d4KY1XhYnfMp1NQ at mail.gmail.com>,
David Walters <david at jellybaby.net> writes
>> Does anyone encrypt email, SMTP email that is, rather than picking up from
>> https://mail.google.com
>
>Yes. As an example the email you sent was encrypted between
>chiark.greenend.org.uk and mx.google.com with TLS.

That would be another mode, which I overlooked.

>Unless you mean something like PGP encryption of the payload?

That was the main target of my comments.

Of course, some people *do* have things to hide, legitimately, like
sending items protectively marked or containing personal data which they
are supposed to keep secure. However, it shouldn't be too difficult to
filter those out. The remainder are a bit like people driving round in
cars with heavily tinted windows - makes you wonder what they are trying
to hide.