https - hopefully not too stupid a question

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 23:42:19 BST 2012

2012/6/18 Peter Fairbrother <zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk>:

> For example, clause 11 - when does it ever get used? When does an
> authorisation need Judicial approval?

When it is granted by a "relevant person", i.e. a local authority
officer. The idea, so I gather, is that clause 11 is meant to be a
"good" point of the bill because it requires local government to
obtain judicial approval before they can use their authorisations.

The secretary of state can add others to the list.

I make no comment on whether that is or is not a "good" thing, but it
seems clear enough.

> And notices can only be served on telecommunications operators? 9(3)(d)?

I'm not sure I see the confusion. Who else would you be serving a
clause 9 notice on? I accept that other people may get their hands on
communications data, but in practice it will almost always be in the
hands of a telecommunications operator. Hopefully you read my blog
post so you will see that means almost everyone.

--
Francis Davey