scary certificate for www.update.microsoft.com

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Mon Jun 18 20:16:47 BST 2012

Ben Liddicott wrote:
> RSA is not in suite B either.

A big trail of big suppositions follows. There may be nothing in it.

Suppose GCQH have made a small theoretical improvement in factoring or
breaking RSA, and NSA has built the hardware to do it - maybe enough for
200 1kbit keys per year.

In order to get the money NSA has had to say in confidence that "they
have made a significant advance in codebreaking", which has leaked
somewhat, US politicians being what they are.

As many sites update their keys twice a year, suppose that NSA has the
private keys to 1000 certificates at any time. Say 50 of these are used
for spy stuff, and 500 are the keys are used to - unlock the 50 biggest
https sites.

That's about 99.5% of all https traffic, I guess.

Now NSA can collect internet traffic because the President lets them,
and GCHQ want access to raw internet traffic - after all, it's no good
having the keys if you can't access the traffic, it's not usually sent
by broadcast radio any more.

What better way to collect traffic than a comms bill like the proposed one?

paranoid?

-- Peter Fairbrother.