https - hopefully not too stupid a question

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Mon Jun 18 11:03:48 BST 2012

Hmmm. For example if I wrote a webmail server where sending a mail involved a packet whose content looked like
Then you have to read every byte of that message (most of which are content) in order to find the traffic data buried within it.

I'd been assuming that pulling traffic data out of the inside of a packet would be interception because it would inevitably "make available" the rest of the inside of packet, thus satisfying the requirement of "interception" in 2(2).

But you're suggesting that 2(5)(b) might trump that, so that "making available" *is* OK, if it is necessary to *find* the traffic data. From a privacy point of view, that sounds depressingly plausible.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet