https - hopefully not too stupid a question

Alec Muffett alec.muffett at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 06:49:31 BST 2012

On 18 Jun 2012, at 06:36, Florian Weimer wrote:

> Not in datacenters, where you'd typically have machines which run data
> centers.

...I am familiar with the whir of the fans, the whine of the UPS and the dangers of halon and an unprotected BRS, they haunt my dreams; Cisco and Juniper switches lollop through my nightmares as I try to recall the labyrinthine double negative syntax of "unset nononopoweroffnoreally" to shut them down...

> With IPv4, most hosters tell you to configure a /24 netmask
> on your interface.  But this doesn't mean that you'll be able to use
> more than the one IPv4 address the network has handed to you.

Mmph.  Actually I have a /29 at home which nominally would provide me with 5 routable addresses + 1 router address + broadcast and network address, and therefore I've had to set my internet-side net mask to 255.255.255.248; I rather think that if I set it to reflect a /24 this might cause some upset upstream.

Within my home network I have three /24s, yes, obviously, because you can - but that's because I'm insulated by NAT.

If/when my ISP give me a IPv6 /64 to fart around with, I shall take great delight in hosting a web server on my phone.

> With IPv6, there are still technical reasons for limits, although
> addresses aren't scarce: each address requires precious TCAM space,
> and neighbor discovery does not work at scale.

Fine.  So my IPv6 neighbours are in my home.  Just route to it. :-)

	-a