latest plans to monitor internet use in the UK

Andrew Cormack Andrew.Cormack at ja.net
Fri Jun 15 13:42:31 BST 2012

I'd noticed the absence of "public". Actually as far as I can see the definition of "telecommunications providers" covers pretty much every organisation in the land (and most homes too). No idea whether it's deliberate (could it just be a cut'n'paste from the RIPA access powers?), or targeted at us.

If anyone had asked I'd have pointed out the usual problem for anyone who wants to "measure Janet" (remember, we serve researchers, who have such sweet ideas!): multiple paths everywhere within the network and for most external links too (our customers regard JCB-resistance as higher priority than bandwidth nowadays), backbone links running at 100Gbps and a even a lot of customer access links in the multi-Gbps resilient range. That's a lot of black boxes plus some clever packet re-assembly too.

Andrew

--
Andrew Cormack
Chief Regulatory Adviser, Janet