latest plans to monitor internet use in the UK

Francis Davey fjmd1a at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 16:37:16 BST 2012

2012/6/15 Brian Morrison <bdm at fenrir.org.uk>:

> The government always argues that it does this because it does not want
> to have to bring forth further primary legislation, instead changes can
> be made by SI.
>
> Personally I intensely dislike this method of lawmaking, it smacks of
> the inability to decide on a course of action or to understand the
> dangers of allowing SIs to be passed with little or no scrutiny.

Quite. Not having to think about legislation and have it subject to
parliamentary scrutiny is much nicer from a government perspective.

Here technology is part of the excuse. "We may want all sorts of
things we can't predict" is a common reason for not actually nailing
down the policy in the act. It also allows some real deniability.
Often lots of the plans really aren't there.

I too dislike it as a form of law-making.

--
Francis Davey