What is a "communication" (was Re: sorry, but ...

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue Jul 31 20:54:51 BST 2012

In article <5017D91C.1050209 at gmx.net>, "Caspar Bowden (travelling)"
<tharg at gmx.net> writes
>It always seemed to me that "communication" had to be interpreted as a
>transmission of information at an arbitrary *logical* layer of the
>stack(s) - it might mean an e-mail, or a web page, or an IM, or a phone
>call, or an SMS etc. If a hacker was communicating by port-knocking, it
>might mean a datagram.
>
>So the interpretation of communication w.r.t. to whether something is
>internal or external, would not be affected by e.g. whether any dropped
>packets as part of an email message were received by a random router
>outside the UK (and perhaps "made available" to a engineer looking at a
>log file), but whether the (intended) sender and receiver are both in
>the UK.

How do we extend that theory to the situation where there are many
receivers in many countries, and when no-one (barring the intermediary
such as Facebook knows who the receivers are, and only really dodgy
stuff like geo-location by IP address can determine where they are?

(Unless they are using a proxy...)