sorry, but ...

Caspar Bowden (travelling) tharg at gmx.net
Wed Jul 25 17:45:38 BST 2012

Hi Peter

'fraid don't have time to answer all these points, but one of the main
points of the probing amendments on 16(3) was to establish if they were
intended to make Overlapping warrants obsolete. The answer in Bassam's
letter was an unequivocal "no".

I don't think Facebook raises any new points of principle regarding
interpretation of external/internal, than posting messages to a offshore
bulletin-board system with a open or closed membership. How the
interpretation works we don't know (one of the main drawbacks of having
all of this adjudicated inside the head of a single Commissioner - who
have not seen fit to discuss publicly in 26 years)

when I said "it doesn't matter", I just meant that Bassam letter makes
it clear that internal communications "inadvertently" intercepted under
an external warrant do not break the law.

Caspar