Buckinghamshire CC ANPR cameras

Ben Liddicott ben at liddicott.com
Wed Jan 11 20:23:50 GMT 2012

AFAIK, that is correct, or at least that goes for most government agencies,
which are delegated to carry out the responsibilities of the Secretaries of
State, and cannot do anything not authorised by HM Secretary of State in
pursuance of his statutory responsibilities.

There are exceptions: Certain things were historically not done authorised
by statute for example the issuance of passports, and pardons. But passports
are optional - no-one was traditionally entitled to a passport (though that
may have changed with the IPS legislation) or obliged to apply for one, and
one is not required to leave or re-enter the country. You may need it to
enter your destination country however, and the airlines tend to ask for one
for that reason.