Buckinghamshire CC ANPR cameras

John Wilson tugwilson at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 13:34:52 GMT 2012

On 10 January 2012 12:49, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:
> John Wilson said:
>> However the number plate layout introduced in September 2001 should
>> not require as much merging as the letters and digits are readily
>> distinguishably by position.
>
> Unfortunately not. Compare YB 54 ODK with Y 854 ODK with YBS 400 K. All
> valid registrations.
>
> (If you delve far enough, it's possible to find registrations that differ
> only in the use of I v 1, such as EI 2 versus E 12.)

Yes they are all valid but Y 854 ODK and YBS 400 K were issued before 2001.

My point is that the 2001 format is far more ANPR friendly. If you do
the 0->O and 3->E transforms they are still unique.

It's quite true that pre 2001 number plates should produce more
clashes both with each other and with post 2001 number plates but they
are a steadily declining proportion of the population.

John Wilson