Unsecured wifi might be contributory negligence

Nicholas Bohm nbohm at ernest.net
Fri Feb 17 17:58:04 GMT 2012

On 17/02/2012 17:41, Roland Perry wrote:
> In article <4F3E77F4.4060501 at ernest.net>, Nicholas Bohm
> <nbohm at ernest.net> writes
>>> But isn't breach of copyright also straddling the criminal/civil
>>> boundary?
>>
>> No.  Infringement is either civil or criminal, depending on the
>> circumstances.  In neither case does it inhabit a halfway house like an
>> administrative penalty.
>
> So if someone commits a criminal breach of copyright, the rightsholder
> can't also sue for damages? They have to choose one or the other.

No, I don't think so.  My point is that administrative penalties are
neither the one thing nor the other.  It isn't refuted by pointing to
something that is both one thing and the other.

> And then there's the International/Trans-border issues, where our
> friends in the USA will have the FBI help them track down the more
> serious infringers.

I would say, "So what?"; but I fear you would tell me.

Nicholas
--
Contact and PGP key here <http://www.ernest.net/contact/index.htm>