Transaction history of Paywave cards

Roland Perry lists at internetpolicyagency.com
Sun Dec 16 15:29:06 GMT 2012

In article <70626272-A563-4B61-951D-E22C5166FBE6 at batten.eu.org>, Ian
Batten <igb at batten.eu.org> writes

>On 16 Dec 2012, at 07:56, Roland Perry <lists at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <50CD69D4.8060006 at iosis.co.uk>, Peter Tomlinson
>><pwt at iosis.co.uk> writes
>>> I'm told that they need online authorisation.
>>
>> To make sure they have any money in the account, I presume; they
>>don't keep a running total on the card itself.
>
>But my children have bank cards.  The accounts they're linked to have
>no overdraft facility (illegal to lend to under sixteens, and possibly
>under eighteens) and routinely towards the end of the months have
>balances substantially less than a day's travel in London.   The
>distinction between those cards and pre-pay cards seems pretty tenuous.

Not really. The banks know where your children live, so if they run up
an unauthorised overdraft - or possibly if they have to refuse a payment
to TfL that would create an overdraft - they can come after them.

Whereas a prepay card is just something an anonymous bloke bought from a
booth at an airport.

Alternatively, maybe your children's cards have a flag that says "always
authenticate online", which means it's yet another class of Paywave that
the TfL buses won't be accepting.

>   I don't see that pre-pay cards are uniquely, or even substantially,
>the "insufficient funds" problem.  I suppose a pre-pay card has no
>reliable user information, and therefore you can't pursue them for
>non-payment, but realistically TfL is hardly going to start suing
>people for refused debit card transactions for a couple of quid
>(especially if they're not UK citizens/residents).

No, but if such cards become a well known loophole, they could lose
large amounts.