Transaction history of Paywave cards

Tony Naggs tony.naggs at
Fri Dec 14 20:00:04 GMT 2012

On 14 December 2012 19:14, Roland Perry <lists at>wrote:

> In article <CAK0b=2c0V6rCoiKchAh-nNj4Tsw=**NStBm-3WqEghk+Kg8NsVNg at mail.**
> <NStBm-3WqEghk%2BKg8NsVNg at>>, Tony Naggs <
> tony.naggs at> writes
>  I'm sure the contactless credit cards have  transaction history, for
>> fraud investigation & enforcing limits on the number of transaction without
>> entering a PIN.
>> I have not read the EMV standard for contactless cards, but that would
>> contain details
> I've read through a 200-page spec today and there's no mention of writing
> anything to the card. Indeed, the card is allowed to be removed from the RF
> field of the reader before the latter has even started to authenticate the
> transaction, let alone in a postion to tell the card that it's been
> successful.

Sorry, I made a wrong assumption then.

The BBC News story & film do not show any paper ticket being issued .. some
of the readers shown look like those from the middle of the bendy buses and
so could not issue a paper ticket anyway.

An alternative way for ticket inspection to work is that the inspector's
card reader first fetches a list of card unique (serial) ids from the bus
readers for the current journey, and can then compare those with the credit
cards presented for inspection.