What is a "communication"

Peter Fairbrother zenadsl6186 at zen.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 04:38:55 BST 2012

On 14/08/12 03:44, Peter Fairbrother wrote:
> On 13/08/12 11:07, Charles Lindsey wrote:

>>> Another question here, is traffic between me and mywebsiteserver a
>>> communication?
>>
>> Yes, you sent a communication to your websiteserver and it returned
>> information of use to you. The identity of your websiteserver is
>> traffic data. The actual query and its response is not.
>

> You probably can't have it both ways - my webserver is not a person. Or
> is it?

Missed a bit here - I was thinking of me placing something on the 'net
by ftp'ing it to mywebserver, and whether that ftp is a communication in
RIPA terms, and therefore interceptable.

mywebsever is (allegedly) at an ISP who do not look at the content
therein, but for the sake of argument suppose it is a physical server in
in my London flat (I wish).

I think it may not be a communication, as it does not have an intended
recipient - except perhaps me, as the server operator, as opposed to me,
as the sender?

I don't know.

but maybe ftp prolly cannot be intercepted because it is not a
communication, even if some b#*#*#*d sees it all.

-- Peter Fairbother