What is a "communication" (was Re: sorry, but ...

Peter Tomlinson pwt at iosis.co.uk
Sun Aug 12 09:57:54 BST 2012

On 12/08/2012 07:34, Roland Perry wrote:
> In article <5027428E.2020502 at iosis.co.uk>, Peter Tomlinson
> <pwt at iosis.co.uk> writes
>> I still wish that we could easily and routinely be able to encrypt
>> email content. Then plod would have to ask for the keys.
>
> PGP style of encryption or TLS?
>
> And what do you count as "email" - there are very many non-port-25
> messaging systems these days (and that's part of plod's problem).
I'm thinking of the USA program (www.nist.gov/nstic) to try to make the
internet safe by use of eID methods (now using the buzzwords 'Identity
Ecosystem'), although how far they have actually got in the last year
I'm not sure [1]. Securely and easily being able to pass information
between two parties should be a vital part of that. In Europe we have
been trying (somewhat fitfully) for 10 years to solve the eID problem.

Peter

[1] On the web site see http://www.nist.gov/nstic/iesg.html :

Identity Ecosystem Steering Group to Launch August 15-16, 2012, in
Chicago, Illinois