What is a "communication" (was Re: sorry, but ...

Caspar Bowden (travelling) tharg at gmx.net
Wed Aug 8 15:24:33 BST 2012

On 08/08/2012 03:12 PM, Charles Lindsey wrote:
> But the whole point of my series of messages is that "they" must be
> able to show "plausible deniability" that they are not intercepting
> messages addressed to UK recipients, and that how they achieve that is
> "their" problem.

So it is a critical point, and AFAIK there is only the Bassam letter to
go on. Might I suggest Charles that you draft a letter to the
Interception Commissioner, we tweak it a bit on the list, and then you
write to him and ask him ? It's literally the only way to settle the
point, and it would be interesting to see what the response is.

It also would have quite a lot of legal significance IMHO, if someone
were later to start a IPT complaint (preliminary to a Strasbourg
challenge) about the forseeability in the quality of law and oversight
of the UK regime

Caspar